3 Fire Prevention Tips
Fires cause a lot of property damage every single day, which can be an expensive process to clean up and restore. Fortunately, many fires can be prevented if some precautions are taken. Below are some simple tips you can follow to prevent potential fire damage!
- Never leave a kitchen unattended while in use. Cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires each year, according to the National Fire Protection Association. While there are a few factors for this statistic, one of the main reasons they occur is because kitchens are left unattended for periods of time. That’s why it is strongly recommended that you stay in your kitchen at all times, even if you think everything is under control!
- Keep flammable materials away from heat sources. This might seem obvious, but quite frequently, flammable objects will catch fire because they are left close to heat sources. This can include space heaters, candles, fireplaces, and many other sources. It’s best to leave them at least a few feet apart!
- Replace all frayed wires. Wires tend to fray over time, especially if they are not protected properly. When this protective coating is torn, the hot electrical currents run a risk of catching nearby flammable materials on fire. If you notice any frayed wires, have them replaced immediately!
As we’ve discussed, some easy precautions can prevent devastating fires from occurring. But if you do have a fire in your home or commercial property, don’t worry! You can call SERVPRO of Burke County—your local fire cleanup and restoration company—today at (828) 874-0966!